Welcome to the Big Purchase Budget Challenge! It might sound intimidating, but we kept it straightforward for you LoveTrippers. There is no wrong answer to this couples money management challenge, try to keep it simple and within the context of your relationship and financial situation. If you’re having a hard time doing this exercise then start by reading our post on how to manage money in your relationship.
- Think of one big purchase you want to make together over the next 6-12 months.
- Determine the cost of the purchase. Set this as your savings goal.
- Determine how much money you need to save together monthly to reach your goal.
- Discuss changes you will both have to make to your budget to reach this monthly goal.
- Download our simple Excel Spreadsheet to help you calculate your budget!
- Pick a goal that is attainable. We all want a private jet but sadly that’s usually not realistic.
- If your big purchase isn’t attainable in 6 – 12 months, extend the time needed to reach your goal. Saving to buy a new camera will not take as long as saving to buy a house. Is it still worth it to you?
- Don’t forget to talk about how to make this goal attainable. What can you both sacrifice?
- We are not financial advisors! Contact a financial advisor who will help you determine the best way to save your money and achieve your goals.
Here is our example:
- We were engaged and needed to pay for our wedding.
- We needed to save $15k over the next twelve months.
- We put aside $625/month each into a savings account. We made it an automatic withdrawal so we didn’t even have to think about it.
- We agreed to eat out at restaurants only once a month, and reduce our clothing budget to only $50/month.