In the summer of 2012 we moved in together. An interesting melding of diets happens when you move in with someone. All of a sudden you find your freezer has more ice cream, your bag of BBQ chips has been eaten, and you start the tradition of Sunday morning pancakes. Yummy! Another interesting change that happens is you start to notice a little more flab. At the end of the summer we decided to get fit and sexy as a couple.
It took some trial and error, a lot of encouragement, support, and mostly sweat, but over the course of the next 12 months we managed to shed a lot of fat.
We are using all the good habits we built to help us stay fit and sexy in the land of fast food and expanding waistlines. We are not fitness models by any means, just your average couple that has taken small simple steps to feel healthier and sexier.
Before making any major lifestyle changes be sure to consult your physician.
Starting Your Healthy Lifestyle
- Set a health goal – The first and most important part of starting a healthier lifestyle is setting a goal. You and your partner don’t need matching goals, what’s important is that you hold each other accountable. Having attainable goals makes you more likely to follow through and gives you a sense of accomplishment when you reach them. For example, lose 10 lbs in the next 3 months, run a half marathon, or feel more comfortable at the beach.
- Track your progress – It’s hard to realize the progress you’re making when you’re not keeping track. On day one take note of your weight, measurements, and take some “before” pictures. Track your progress every week. You’ll begin to notice the change pretty quickly and you’ll find yourself doing an extra set of pushups!
Healthy Eating For Couples
If you are looking to improve your health then adjusting your diet is a must. We are not saying you need to “go on a diet” as those are temporary fixes that cannot be sustained. We’re suggesting some simple changes to your eating habits that can go a long way in improving your waistline.
- Shop the perimeter – Focus on the perimeter of the grocery store and buy lots of fruits and veggies along with healthy meats and dairy. This technique is a great way to stay away from the processed, high fat, high sugar foods in the middle aisles of grocery stores. The middle aisles will only tempt you with their evil cookies and chips!
- Smaller Portion Sizes – Reducing your portion sizes is an extremely easy way to cut out excess calories from your diet. Instead of having 3 chicken legs and a big scoop of mash potatoes, have 2 legs and 3 tablespoons. Then work your way down to one leg and two tablespoons. If you’re dining out, plan to leave with a doggy bag instead of finishing your plate. As your portions gradually get smaller your stomach will get used to less food, and you’ll begin to feel fuller faster.
- Share your cheat meals – One of the best parts of eating healthy is allowing yourself to indulge in cheat meals from time to time. A great way to reduce the impact of cheat meals is to share the portion with your partner. Instead of both of you ordering the chocolate brownie explosion for dessert, share it and split the calories 50/50. In the end you will have satisfied your craving without feeling like you need to roll out of the restaurant.
- Pack a lunch for work – A lot of us don’t put much thought into our lunches when we are at work. We’ll run down to the food court, grab a #2 from the menu, and shove it down our throats before heading back to our desk. This usually results in a lot of calories and a lot of money over the course of a month. Packing a lunch of fruits, veggies, and nuts to snack on throughout the day, and a nice healthy salad for your main meal will reduce your calories. It will also keep your energy high and leave a little extra cash in your wallet!
- Drink lots of water – Drinking lots of water is a cornerstone of a healthy diet. There is a lot of debate about the right amount, but drinking lots of water is recognized as one of the healthiest things you can do for your body. If you replace drinking soda’s, energy drinks, juice, or alcohol with water you will dramatically reduce your caloric intake. Drinking lots of water also helps your muscles recover from a work out, helps your skin look better, and will keep you feeling awake.
- Healthy Alternatives – There are healthy alternatives to your regular diet everywhere. For example, replacing sugar with honey, sour cream with Greek yogurt, or ground beef with ground turkey. A little creativity and an open mind can introduce lots of interesting new delicious foods to your diets while greatly reducing calories. Check out our Healthy Eating board on Pinterest for some really easy and yummy ideas.
Couples Fit and Sexy Journey
Improving your diet can only take you so far on your health journey. Focusing on fitness has been shown to boost energy, increase mood, combat health issues, and best of all you’ll look great. Getting fit with your partner is a fantastic way to keep each other accountable and develop new interests together.
- Take a fitness class – Find an activity that you both enjoy and take classes or lessons. You are less likely to skip your workout if you are going with your partner. Classes are a great gateway into the fitness world. Use sites like Groupon to try out different activities for a low price, for example, Crossfit, Yoga, or Spinning. Remember that not all classes or trainers are created equal so try multiple places before giving up on an activity.
- Take the WORK out of your workout – If weightlifting or spin class isn’t up your alley then maybe you need to find an activity that doesn’t feel like a workout. Going for a weekly hike or joining a volleyball league are awesome ways to bring up your heart rate while having fun.
- Home Workouts – Working out at home may be the option for you if you are short on time or are intimidated by the gym. There are some amazing home workout programs available for whatever your goals are. We personally used the P90X3 and T25 programs from Beachbody with great results. Check out some great workouts you can do with your partner at home on our Fit Couples board on Pinterest.
- Keep a schedule – Having a set schedule to follow will help you develop healthy habits, keep you both accountable, and push you to stay on track. This is a key part of sticking to your fitness goals. You may start off really motivated but it’s not long before you skip your workout to watch a Seinfeld re-run. A schedule will make working out as routine as brushing your teeth.
- A bad workout is better than no workout – Being tired after a long day at work is no excuse to skip your workout. You may not jump the highest or lift the heaviest but you will feel proud of yourself for sticking to your schedule. That being said, know your limits! If you are in pain or sick, give your body the rest it needs to recover. You may have good intentions but injuring yourself will only hinder your progress.
Getting fit and eating healthy is one of the best things you can do to improve your relationship right now! Remember that you’re in this together. You’re doing this so you can feel healthy, fit and sexy. Remember that you are not in competition with each other, do not start to resent your partner’s achievements. Be supportive of each other, especially when you’re feeling tired, sore, or in the mood for a banana split with fudge and caramel.
Be a cheerleader. Complement each other on how firm your butts have become. It’s a great motivator to keep up your new and improved lifestyle. Before you know it you’ll be feeling each other’s muscles and going shopping for sexier clothes together…which will just end up on the bedroom floor anyways.