Having your own personal hobbies and interests is an important part of a relationship, but it doesn’t mean they should be kept completely separate from your partner. Perhaps you have an interest that your partner just doesn’t understand or you have been too nervous to try something they love. This exercise will get you out of your comfort zone and help you both learn a little more about each other and yourselves.
- Each write down three interests or hobbies you would like your partner to participate in.
- Trade papers and pick one of your partner’s interests to join in with them.
- After you have done the activity together discuss how you both felt. Did you enjoyed it? Would you like to do it again?
- The activities you choose should be something that is important to you and that you would like to experience with your partner.
- Try and make you choices something your partner has never done with you before.
- This challenge should open up a discussion about why you do or don’t do certain things together, do not get defensive or negative. It’s ok to not like a certain interest!
- If there is an activity that you are against doing completely, be honest about it. We want both of you to be open to new experiences but to also feel comfortable with your choices.
- This does not mean your partner has to join you every time now. It is just a way to bring you closer to understanding each other.